Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day Seven: And Now a Word from Our Sponsors

Date: February 7, 2010
Friend: Candace Tielebein
Activity: Watching Commercials during the Super Bowl
Location: Greg and Candace's house
Total $ Spent: $0


Day seven started off a bit uncertain when I received the following text: "Is it okay if we reschedule our date?" Candace was worried that I wouldn't feel comfortable hanging at her house because Greg's mom was coming over. "Um, you've met my mom, so I'm pretty sure I can take it." And just like that, we were back on for our $1 date to watch the much anticipated commercials during the Super Bowl. I felt awful when I arrived at her house empty-handed. Isn't that, like, the number one rule of etiquette?? Whatever, I'm from a trailer park in Reno and Candace was wearing her pajamas. We were ready for some seriously casual TV-watching.

Candi and I used to work together at the Museum. She is a high class goof ball who appreciates the finer things in life, such as her gorgeous chocolate brown Coach purse (which I clearly covet), and yet she is totally down to earth. She is a mini-Martha Stewart with her creativity and craft skills. She makes wreaths, decorations, centerpieces, floral arrangements, and anything else you can think of. She and Greg had their daughter, Lily, almost exactly six months ago, and she is a little love. They are a family of laughter and comfort; you can't help but smile when you're around them, probably because one of them has made a silly joke.





Upon my arrival, Candi took me straight to the kitchen where I was paralyzed by my one of my two favorite foods - HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE. She even went to the trouble of making me my very own meatless cheese dip which tasted just like my dad's super delicious recipe. Greg's mom ended up not staying for the game but she did leave an unusually large amount of ice cream bars in the freezer. I'm pretty sure Candi and Greg will have ice cream bars for the rest of 2010 if not longer.










I bounced back and forth between playing with baby Lily and snarfing down my junk food. After all, what is a Super Bowl without the junk food? I'm hoping that my stomach forgives me tomorrow. Lily seemed to take to me pretty well. We danced to the Black Eyed Peas and I helped her fingers spell out the alphabet in sign language. But nothing makes her laugh like her Daddy. She let out a few of those irresistable baby chuckles and that makes everyone's voices suddenly rise an octave.



Between commercials (ie during the slower parts of the game), we caught up on the goings on at the Museum and a bit of celebrity gossip. I mean, does anyone really care that Kim Kardashian is dating Reggie Bush? Or that David Letterman has escaped scrutiny because of the Conan vs. Jay battle? We explained the term "muffin top" to Greg and some basic rules of girl talk. He made a solid effort, but surrendered claiming he just can't predict us girls. Candace was easily distracted by the E*trade commercials with the talking babies and I was drawn to those with animals. All three of us loved the "milkaholic" commercial. If you didn't see, it google and it you will giggle. Another of our favorites was the return of the Budweiser Clydesdale. Who doesn't love a beautiful running horse, who happens to befriend a cow?



Stuffed, and regretting the ice cream bars, we intently watched the end of the 4th quarter as the Saints took the title. Sweet Lily was a party animal but was fading fast. Candace wrapped up a bag of cookies and my leftover cheese dip, and I bundled up, ready to face the potholes of Omaha. It's hard for me to get used to not seeing my Museum friends every day. I promise myself I will work extra hard to maintain my relationships with them.....they are the best part of my memories of working there. Having met Candace and Greg, and now their baby girl, makes me all the more joyful that I am where I am.

On deck for day 8: Julie. I'll be seeing you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment