Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 16: Kindred Spirits

Date: February 16, 2010
Friend: Marjorie Maas
Activity: Triple Threat
Location: Dundee Gallery, Pitch, Diane and Howard's
Total $ Spent: $1

It's crazy to think that Marjorie and I only met two years ago, because we have known each other our whole lives. Both dedicated and passionate arts managers, we missed officially meeting each other by a sliver of time throughout the years. We had the same internship with the Nebraska Shakespeare Festival, just a few years apart. We know all of the same people. We are avid lovers of the visual arts and have the same value system. She hates bread and I hate wine, but together that makes sense. We are both theatre nerds. At the risk of sounding cliche, I simply adore Marji.


She is a small business owner, mother, and scarf expert. There has never been a scarf that didn't look good on her and that she couldn't tie in that really cool way that New Yorkers use but act like they don't think they look as cool as they do. You know what I'm talking about. Marjorie is a loving soul who has the ability to make everyone feel as though they are the most special.

Our date was in three parts, but to be perfectly honest we spent most of the day together. We both serve on the Community Board for the Shakespeare Festival, and we had back-to-back committee meetings today. Our date officially began in the evening at the Omaha Young Arts Administrators networking event. We started at the Dundee Gallery - a place where you should all shop and support. Visit them at http://www.dundeegallery.com/. Go there, and go there often. Featuring local art works in various mediums, the Gallery is located in the heart of the swingin Dundee scene.


It was so tempting to buy some jewelry, but I stayed strong. I especially fell for the pendants designed on coins and the whimsical block paintings on a tree.






I had the opportunity to catch up with some arts professionals whom I haven't seen since "the break up" with Joslyn, and I met some new individuals. I just can't tell you how wonderful it feels to be supported by your colleagues. It seems as though these people have confidence in me that I possibly don't deserve. I'm not fishing for compliments, I promise. I guess it's just such a humbling experience to lose your job and yet feel valued in your community.

After about an hour at the Gallery, the group shivered our way to Pitch, a new pizza joint owned by the Godfather himself, Willy Thiesen. Again, super hard to not splurge on a specialty pizza, so I look forward to going back when my budget allows it. I also recommend using the Pitch restroom because it is way cool and I'm sad I didn't take a picture to share with everyone. Marjorie ordered a yummy salad and shared a few bites with me, so naturally I paid her $1 for my portion. I would like to reiterate that the point of this project is not to make people buy things for me!





I have to give a shout out to one Ms. Anne Meysenberg for saving me from a potential ham crisis of the century. Casey from Film Streams ordered brussel sprouts and was offering them around the table. Ewww right? Well everyone was raving about how good they were, so I went in for a bite. Just as I was about to go for it, Anne says, "woah, that has ham in it." Whew! That would have been a major disaster. Can you imagine? I've been vegetarian for like 87 years and the first time I meet a brussel sprout I get a giant slap in the face by meat-loving Nebraska. A word to cooks and chefs: not everything needs to have meat in it, m'kay? Especially a vegetable appetizer. Thanks.



The third and final destination for my date with Marjorie was at a Mardi Gras party hosted by our friends, Howard and Diane Coffin. They are kind and gracious people who love to party. It's true. They have a bar in their basement. (Diane is pictured on the left)
I wished that I hadn't already eaten because Diane and Howard always have the best appetizers and tasty treats at their parties. Cheese-y things, dessert things, beans and rice on stove. Delicious savory scents filled the house.



I forced myself to down a cookie and a virgin Hurricane, which Marji also enjoyed. I also wish I was a drinker because Howard is the best bartender in town!









As Marjorie, her friend Michelle, and I chatted on the couch, Marjorie discovered that her piece of King Cake contained the Baby Jesus! This means she has to make next year's cake which is really funny because Marjorie loves to cook, but doesn't bake. She is very down on her baking skills. I'm sure she'll come up with something by next year, possibly seeking advice from the very talented Diane.




Bouncing around town with a dear friend is totally fulfilling. I sometimes have to pinch myself to make sure I remember that these people are actually in my life. They are my friends and colleagues. I have built myself a circle in Omaha, and I'm so thankful that it continues to expand.



On deck for day 17: Becky. I'll be seeing you.....

3 comments:

  1. Good job Wendy! Keep up the good work. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pitch is an amazing place. I know the head chef there. I don't know how you feel about srooms, but there shroom pizza is amazing. Sometime when it is in your budget we should meet there for dinner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed, there were "aaahh's," and a firm sense that you and I really know each other very well. What a good feeling. Love you girl. xoMMM

    ReplyDelete